Thomas’ trophy shelf of bragging rights must be getting really crowded, for this marks his seventh victory. He also maintains a spot of honor in The Mystery Train Blog’s Hobo Jungle.
And the answer is…
For LP Fans Only was the first Elvis Presley album to receive a Grammy nomination.
For LP Fans Only was nominated for “Best Album Cover” of 1959. The honoree of this art direction nomination was none other than Tom Parker, Elvis’ manager.
I have no idea if this contributed to its nomination, but For LP Fans Only is distinctive among Elvis releases in that it was the first of only two RCA albums released during his lifetime that did not include his name on the front or back covers (the second was On Stage).
For LP Fans Only lost out on the Grammy to Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5, also an RCA release.
* * *
Do you think you have enough Elvis power to beat Thomas next time? Subscribe to The Mystery Train Blog using the feature in the menu bar to the right. Then, you’ll be notified whenever there is a new post – because you never know when the next trivia challenge might come along.
The Hobo Jungle
- February 22, 2013: Thomas (13:36)
- January 11, 2013: George Millar (4:19)
- December 23, 2012: Thomas (0:36)
- October 9, 2012: David (14:38) | Honorable Mention: John (22:06)
- February 4, 2012: Thomas (13:52)
- February 3, 2012: Thomas (2:18)
- December 21, 2011: Wellsy (2:37)
- October 31, 2011: Thomas (17:32)
- October 1, 2011: Jimmy Cool (1:01)
- September 9, 2011: Steve Brogdon (0:17) <— Record time
- August 6, 2011: Thomas (2:26)
- July 9, 2011: Thomas (5:26)
- June 23, 2011: Fred Wolfe (0:18)
- June 22, 2011: Troy stumps the train (no winner)
Next week: The Elvis Movie of the Quarter revealed!
* * *
Follow The Mystery Train Blog on twitter for additional Elvis and pop culture content.